The Red Line Parkway Initiative (RLPI) accomplishes its mission through planning the creation of the parkway, creating a public presence for the parkway, recreation/entertainment events, educational/informational events, outreach to community leaders and organizations, education to elected and public officials, general media marketing, collaboration with trail planners and builders, collaboration with real estate developers and property owners, and providing a consistent community institution to advance the Red Line Parkway. The existence of a large, broad, and engaged community in support of the Red Line Parkway will foreshadow a popular and cherished Austin amenity after implementation.
Our major goals for 2021:
In 2021, our major project is to engage the public to develop the Parkway Plan. We first need to raise adequate funding to begin that process, and to re-establish previous commitments to provide right-of-way for the Parkway. These and other activities are outlined below among our four programs (Plan, Build, Fund, & Activate) and three internal functions (Fundraising, Operations, & Board).
Plan the Parkway
Create a new trail plan and other supporting plans to build the Parkway:
- Engage the public, government agencies, and other industry experts to develop the Parkway Plan Phase 1, to include detailed trail alignment alternatives, anticipated funding mechanisms to implement the Parkway, and opportunities for parks and trail-oriented development. (Anticipated to begin in late summer, once we've raised adequate funding.)
- Convene a Community Advisory Group of residents and community leaders.
- Convene a Technical Advisory Group of key government staff members.
Fund the Parkway
Raise funding to build the Parkway:
- Identify and pursue public funding avenues, including inclusion of the Parkway in roadway and transit projects, e.g. I-35 and Project Connect, and federal & state calls for projects.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for new developments to include construction of the Parkway.
Build the Parkway
Ensure that there is space to build the Parkway and work with agencies as they build the Parkway:
- Re-establish previous commitments by public agencies to provide right-of-way for the Parkway.
- Ensure that funded portions of the Parkway are designed well, by working with the City of Austin, Capital Metro, property owners, community leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure completion of an interim legible bicycling and pedestrian route from end-to-end.
Activate the Parkway
Create programming and promote the Parkway:
- Create Parkway visitor maps.
- Host and support trail opening events and walk/run/bike/art events, once public health conditions permit.
- Install wayfinding signage.
- Begin an Adopt-a-Trail program.
- Fundraising: Raise public & private funds to create the Parkway Plan and to hire additional staff
- Operations: Maintain operations, hire additional staff
- Board: Expand our board in number, skillset, and diversity
To learn more about our previous work, visit our Annual Report 2020 blog post.