The Red Line Parkway Initiative (RLPI) accomplishes its mission through Parkway planning, activation events, informational events, community outreach, education to elected and public officials, marketing, collaboration with trail experts, collaboration with property developers & owners, and providing a consistent community institution to advance the Red Line Parkway. The existence of a large, broad, and engaged community in support of the Red Line Parkway will foreshadow a popular and cherished Austin amenity after implementation.
Our major goals for 2022:
In 2022, our major project is to engage the community and work with our government agency partners to determine an end-to-end route and create the Red Line Parkway Plan Phase I. We will also launch our Red Line Parkway activations, including bike rides. These and other activities are outlined below among our four programs (Plan, Build, Fund, & Activate) and three internal functions (Fundraising, Operations, & Board).
Plan the Parkway
Create a new trail plan and other supporting plans to build the Parkway:
- Engage the community, government agencies, and other industry experts to develop the Red Line Parkway Plan Phase I, to include detailed trail alignment alternatives and anticipated funding mechanisms to implement the Parkway, plus gather initial input to inform future planning, e.g. for parks and trail-oriented development. (Anticipated to begin in late spring.)
- Convene a Community Advisory Group of residents and community leaders.
- Continue to convene the Technical Advisory Group of key government staff members.
Fund the Parkway
Raise funding to build the Parkway:
- Identify and pursue direct public funding avenues, including local bond elections, and federal & state calls for projects.
- Identify and pursue inclusion of the Parkway in roadway and transit projects, e.g. I-35 and Project Connect.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for new developments to include construction of the Parkway.
Build the Parkway
Ensure that there is space to build the Parkway and work with agencies as they build the Parkway:
- Ensure car-free crossings at major transportation construction projects, e.g. I-35, Project Connect, and Corridors.
- Ensure that funded portions of the Parkway are designed well, by working with the City of Austin, Capital Metro, property owners, community leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that new developments reserve right-of-way for the Parkway, and that they interface with the Parkway well.
- Identify an existing legible bicycling and pedestrian route from end-to-end.
Activate the Parkway
Create programming and promote the Parkway:
- Maintain an online interactive Parkway map.
- Host Parkway activations, including bike rides and walks.
- Install limited Parkway signage. (Dependent upon additional funding.)
- Rebrand the project (may extend into 2023).
- Fundraising: Raise public & private funds to create the Red Line Parkway Plan Phase I and subsequent phases.
- Operations: Maintain operations, expand staffing capacity.
- Board: Expand our board in number, skillset, and diversity.
To learn more about our previous work, visit our 2021 recap and Annual Report 2020.